Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:25:06 -0700

Tony Rogerson wrote:
> Like I said, the public documentation is here:
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms130214.aspx;
>
> Like I said, you've lost all objectivety and are 100% blinded by bias.
>
> An example is the triggers - you state no equiv to before statement,
> when in fact you don't actually do real statement triggers...,

So if you don't think this is a statement trigger then tell me precisely what it is?

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER test
BEFORE UPDATE
ON orders
DECLARE
  vMsg VARCHAR2(30) := 'Trigger Fired';
BEGIN
   dbms_output.put_line(vMsg);
END statement_level;
/

If I update 1 row in the table it fires once. If I update 1,000,000,000 rows in the table it fires once.

Stop, for a second, throwing mud and do something constructive. Tell me what this trigger is?

And while you are doing that read this:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/ap_standard_sql001.htm

Look I don't want to play some game with you but please take a second to review what I do for a living. You can't baffle me with BS so if you want to make a point do some research and learn something about the subject.

There is one part of the ANSI definition of statement level triggers that Oracle doesn't support ... that being the :OLD and :NEW tables. That does not make the trigger something other than a statement level trigger. I am trying very hard to take you seriously but so far you've done little to support that proposition.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington