Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Aug 2007 19:39:24 GMT

Johne_uk <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a few opinions on an issue we are experiencing.
>
> My company currently uses a 3rd party application. Up until a few
> weeks ago this application consisted of Java code and a database layer
> that used MySql.

What storage engine was used in MySQL?

> Performance on MySql was adequate but as our primary DB platform is
> Oracle we influenced the 3rd part to introduce an Oracle version (NB:
> most of the sql code is stored in a java db layer - schema just
> consists of tables, views and indexes).
>
> To facilitate this process the vendor has used almost pure ANSI Sql so
> that the same sql can be used for both oracle / mysql with minimum
> conversion required.
>
> When the system was released we were surprised to find that the sql
> (and hence application) ran slower on oracle than MySql (the Oracle db
> server is also considerably more powerful).
>
> At a high level does this surprise anybody on this forum.

Certainly not I. Oracle is far more complicated and powerful than MySQL, and this complexity and power doesn't come for free.

> The orginal code was also written for MySql and converted so that
> might explain why is is running slower.

It might, and it also might not. Find the slowest thing in Oracle, and see if there is a better way to do it in Oracle than the way it is currently done.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB