Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 19:37:14 -0700

joel garry wrote:

>> No one is arguing against periodic exports. The argument is against
>> exporting only and pretending that doing so constitutes having a
>> backup.

> It is a backup. The problem is in pretending that it is an
> appropriate backup.

You should have been an attorney ... you are ... of course ... correct.

>> Can anyone come up with a single scenario where an export will do a
>> better job than RMAN and Flashback?

> I think Steve and I have, Flashback has its limitations.

What was it? Never saw it here via my ISP. Of course Flashback has its limitations (wait until you see 11g though) but something export can do better than the combination of RMAN and Flashback? That I want to see.

>> I'm willing to agree that the purpose of every backup is not recovery.
>> But will you agree that not having a proper backup precludes recovery?

> Agree. I even think it is appropriate to laugh at people who come
> here and expect to recover without a proper backup. But we should be
> nice to newbies, anyways.

Again you are correct. Though likely some would argue it is hard to tell the newbies from the terminally lazy.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington