Re: exp and archive available.... recover table

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:23:19 -0700

joel garry wrote:
> On Jul 11, 12:46 pm, "rogergor..._at_gmail.com" <rogergor..._at_gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> You should ideally be able to restore only a single datafile if that's
>> what's missing using RMAN, it's much faster than a full restore if the
>> DB is multi-GB in size.

> So how do you restore just a single table that is a small one of many
> in the datafile and hasn't had (or you want to get rid of the effects
> of) transactions since the export? While RMAN may be able to recover
> blocks and datafiles, in general the granularity is tablespace. So
> how many tables do you have, and how many of them are in their own
> tablespace? I tell ya, I do a lot of work where I'm just updating one
> or a few tables out of thousands, and being able to get those to a
> known state in a much larger database is one of my main uses for exp/
> imp these days. It's a backup and restore with table granularity (or
> smaller with the query option, used carefully). Not everyone is on
> 10g yet, flashback is just another feature.
>
> The real important point is that a DBA know when to use what and why.
> Depending on export for general production backup is undeniably bad.
> Export and cold backups is obsolete, yet one can justify it at a
> stretch (I think Alexander is in that situation). Daniel is saying
> how to do it right, my disagreement is that it is more important to
> come up with a proper SLA than to overgeneralize to the point where
> you are saying RMAN is a backup to the exclusion of everything else.
> The R in RMAN stands for recovery, and that is not the purpose of
> every backup.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.

Doing it "right" is a combination of RMAN and Flashback.

Can anyone come up with a single scenario where an export will do a better job than RMAN and Flashback?

I'm willing to agree that the purpose of every backup is not recovery. But will you agree that not having a proper backup precludes recovery?

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington