Re: easy ways to know oracle is up

From: <pav930t_at_gmail.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2007 07:33:23 -0700

On Apr 24, 6:54 pm, betelge87 <betelg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are trying to develop a script which detects iforacleserver is
> running correctly. We have seen that lot oforacleprocess are running
> and with ps is not easy to know iforacleis really running. On the
> other hand we saw that through sqlplus is possible to start a
> connection and see iforacleis answering. Is there any standard or
> easy way to do this?
>
> Thanks

Oracle has RDA and Statspack that both can be used to produce reports of your instance.
Oracle has an alert.log file for errors.

If you need to -script- testing for connection status try using Perl within a script that can then be scheduled into Cron on UNIX, or Scheduled Tasks for Windows, or your periodic test runner.

For example;

use strict;
use DBI;

my $dbh = DBI->connect( 'dbi:Oracle:orcl',
                        'username',
                        'password',
                      ) || die "Database connection not made:
$DBI::errstr";
$dbh->disconnect();

Hope this helps,

Pete Received on Tue Apr 24 2007 - 09:33:23 CDT