Re: easy ways to know oracle is up

From: betelge87 <betelge87_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2007 14:41:48 -0700

On Apr 24, 4:33 pm, pav9..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 24, 6:54 pm, betelge87 <betelg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > We are trying to develop a script which detects iforacleserver is
> > running correctly. We have seen that lot oforacleprocess are running
> > and with ps is not easy to know iforacleis really running. On the
> > other hand we saw that through sqlplus is possible to start a
> > connection and see iforacleis answering. Is there any standard or
> > easy way to do this?
>
> > Thanks
>
> Oracle has RDA and Statspack that both can be used to produce reports
> of your instance.
> Oracle has an alert.log file for errors.
>
> If you need to -script- testing for connection status try using Perl
> within a script that can then be scheduled into Cron on UNIX, or
> Scheduled Tasks for Windows, or your periodic test runner.
>
> For example;
>
> use strict;
> use DBI;
>
> my $dbh = DBI->connect( 'dbi:Oracle:orcl',
> 'username',
> 'password',
> ) || die "Database connection not made:
> $DBI::errstr";
> $dbh->disconnect();
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Pete

Pete,

I save your suggestion as a posibility but till I know we dont have DBI module
installed on this machine, though I think shouldnt be difficult to install it. Anyway
our original idea was to use a unique script based in shell added in crontab.
We have heard much times about statspack but we are not really familiar with
what this tool may provide, could you shed any light about that and how could
we use that from shell script to control how DB is working?

Cheers Received on Wed Apr 25 2007 - 16:41:48 CDT