Re: Where to start to become a DBA

From: newbie <rjngh2005_at_gmail.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2007 16:44:14 -0700

On Apr 3, 6:37 am, Robert Klemme <shortcut..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 03.04.2007 14:33, Terminator wrote:
>
> > Becoming a dba is not a big deal.
>
> Correct - you just need someone ready to hire you and give you the job
> title. It seems at many sites correct spelling of "SQL" is a sufficient
> qualification.
>
> > But implementing things as a dba
>
> > is great deal.
>
> I guess you mean: working as a real DBA is much more difficult than
> becoming a DBA? Also right on.
>
> > So, friend I will suggest you go ahead with
> > 1. The fundamentals of the architecture of the Oracle.
>
> Yep.
>
> > 2. Learn the terms used to call each operation.
>
> "each"? You got to be kidding.
>
> > 3. Understand the operations it makes and when does it makes.
>
> What exactly is this supposed to mean?
>
> > 4. There is lot in different versions. Dig that first.
>
> Why then do you make this item 4 on your list?
>
> > 5. Try to do the installations on the desktop based linux.
>
> Note that officially Oracle supports only few Linux versions, usually
> the enterprise editions. At least that was true last time I checked.
>
> > 6. Then only prefer oracles completed documentation.
>
> I'm thinking given the volume of that documentation a good book might be
> a better alternative - especially if you're overwhelmed by that mountain
> of text. But yes, Oracle's documentation is exhaustive and probably
> contains all(*) the answers - once you found them. :-)
>
> > 7. Then have hands on each and every topic and document the whole
> > practical practise you make.
>
> Always a good idea, so you can go back to your exercises.
>
> > I think these 7 points will help you achieving the things.
>
> Which things?
>
> Regards
>
> robert
>
> (*) There seem to be some topics that are not (yet) documented.

Join a course
This is the best way to Jumpstart learning Oracle DBA

foothill college , California has an Online course where the manual has been provided by Oracle Training Division. I have done this course. (The cost is just 150-170 usd with the manual)

It is not a fancy course. It is a Self Study course and has a Internet based training course.

You read the stuff that is provided by the book and also go through the slides (There are so many of them ....) once you understand and experiment a lot You will get a good start.

Of course - Have a test machine (Linux, or Unix or Windows XP )

Foothill college link given below

http://www.foothill.fhda.edu/index.php Received on Wed Apr 04 2007 - 18:44:14 CDT