Re: Where to start to become a DBA

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 15:37:31 +0200

On 03.04.2007 14:33, Terminator wrote:

> Becoming a dba is not a big deal.

Correct - you just need someone ready to hire you and give you the job title. It seems at many sites correct spelling of "SQL" is a sufficient qualification.

 > But implementing things as a dba
> is great deal.

I guess you mean: working as a real DBA is much more difficult than becoming a DBA? Also right on.

> So, friend I will suggest you go ahead with
> 1. The fundamentals of the architecture of the Oracle.

Yep.

> 2. Learn the terms used to call each operation.

"each"? You got to be kidding.

> 3. Understand the operations it makes and when does it makes.

What exactly is this supposed to mean?

> 4. There is lot in different versions. Dig that first.

Why then do you make this item 4 on your list?

> 5. Try to do the installations on the desktop based linux.

Note that officially Oracle supports only few Linux versions, usually the enterprise editions. At least that was true last time I checked.

> 6. Then only prefer oracles completed documentation.

I'm thinking given the volume of that documentation a good book might be a better alternative - especially if you're overwhelmed by that mountain of text. But yes, Oracle's documentation is exhaustive and probably contains all(*) the answers - once you found them. :-)

> 7. Then have hands on each and every topic and document the whole
> practical practise you make.

Always a good idea, so you can go back to your exercises.

> I think these 7 points will help you achieving the things.

Which things?

Regards

        robert

(*) There seem to be some topics that are not (yet) documented. Received on Tue Apr 03 2007 - 08:37:31 CDT