Re: 10G tns questions

From: GS <GS_at_GS.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 13:49:28 GMT

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:

> On Apr 2, 4:18 pm, GS <G..._at_GS.com> wrote:
>

>>I am doing a first time test install of a prod database on 10G (10.2),
>>installed the software, installed grid control, then applied latest
>>patch and created a blank database (from scratch) to import the contents
>>from my prod db into. Things went ok other than my rapidly growing
>>dislike for grid control as it will see the new database when I discover
>>it but never show it in the databases tab. Anyway, for now thats merely
>>an annoyance.
>>
>>What has me pulling my hair out now is I get a ora-12537: TNS connection
>>closed error when I try to connect from a client, local or remote. I
>>have tnsnames set up and the service name matched the service name when
>>I enter "services" at the lsnrctl prompt. I can tnsping it fine.
>>
>>One thing I did do was when creating the db was give it a 9 character
>>name when I added "test" to the prod db name, didnt think it would let
>>me, but I tried it and it didnt complain but I noticed it truncated it
>>when I query the name from v$database.
>>
>>Anyway, I have tried having the tnsnames use service name set as the
>>truncated name and tried using the SID instead, but both result in the
>>12537 error.
>>
>>I also ran an oradim -delete -sid and then recreated it with the
>>truncated sid just in case, but all to no avail. I can connect fine thru
>>SQL locally when I set the ORACLE_SID and bypass the listener.
>>
>>One other thing I have noticed is that I also now have more than one
>>oracle home to deal with, I have a c:\oracle\product\10.1.0\em_1 which I
>>assume is for the repository db created with grid control, and a
>>10.2.0\db_1 home that is for the database I created. I though that this
>>was causing me some grief with the listener etc. but once the listener
>>is up and running it shouldnt matter where it was started from, correct?
>>I've made the tnsnames, listener and sqlbet ora files identical in both
>>homes just to be sure.
>>
>>Anything I may have missed here? Doc's aren't to helpful so far, but
>>I'll keep slogging thru them..
>

> I would be checking the sqlnet.ora file and verify you are not using
> NTS authentication.  If  you are this could very well be the reason
> for your TNS errors.  Using tnsping to 'verify' a connection won't
> work as it only verifies a listener is running at the address and port
> specified; tnsping does not attempt to actually connect to the
> instance, and, therefore, is pretty much useless as a tool to check
> for connection errors (none will surface if the address, port and SID/
> SERVICE_NAME are correct).
>

> David Fitzjarrell

I checked the sqlnet, I am not using NTS and it is set at NONE. I am a little confused on why Oracle has set up with 2 homes and am wondering it there is a conflict with the path somewhere. When I type in lsnrctl from a prompt I get an early version for some reason, 9.0.1.4.1, and it won't start, just returns TNS-12538,12560 and 00508, if I go the the bin directory of the newest home for the database I just installed I get version 10.2.0.3.0 and it wont start from the prompt (times out), but it will start from windows services tab but now is not showing any services. Some kind of weirdness happened with one of the installs I think. Was thinking this would be a quick find & fix but it looks like I may have to open a SR.. Received on Tue Apr 03 2007 - 08:49:28 CDT