Re: Free, open source equivalent to SQL Modeler query builder in TOAD?

From: <dananrg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Mar 2007 11:39:55 -0700

On Mar 28, 10:19 am, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> You are sort of correct. In SQL Developer, you can expand the tree list
> on the left to find the table names and columns. You can drag those into
> the SQL pane so as to save you some typing. But it is still up to you to
> correctly write the SQL. For instance, this drag and drop doesn't know
> anything about relationships, so you'll have to define the join
> conditions yourself.

Thanks Brian. That's what I was afraid of. :-( I guess no free tool (closed or open source) comes close to the SQL Modeler option in TOAD. Too bad they don't include that option in the free version for people to see, because it's very powerful.

I know SQL fairly well, but have found TOAD to be immensely helpful-- and sometimes essential--in writing complex queries with many tables, joins, conditions, etc. SQL Modeler's also nice for getting a basic query together rapidly, that I then take into a SQL window and tweak manually as needed. I love how TOAD auto-adds joins, and the ease with which I can create additional joins. Received on Wed Mar 28 2007 - 13:39:55 CDT