Re: Free, open source equivalent to SQL Modeler query builder in TOAD?

From: Jim Smith <usenet01_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:53:04 +0100

In message <460a6cf6$0$5559$88260bb3_at_free.teranews.com>, Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net> writes
>> Am I correct in saying Oracle's free SQL Developer doesn't have the
>> slick, drag-a-table, nice query building capability of SQL Modeler
>> within TOAD?
>
>You are sort of correct. In SQL Developer, you can expand the tree list
>on the left to find the table names and columns. You can drag those
>into the SQL pane so as to save you some typing. But it is still up to
>you to correctly write the SQL. For instance, this drag and drop
>doesn't know anything about relationships, so you'll have to define the
>join conditions yourself.

Actually, SQLDeveloper does have a visual query builder which understands relationships - it just isn't very good yet. This is understandable given that it is in its first version.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>