Re: Error message: "Unable to connect...."

From: Ton Wibier <bla_at_bla.bla>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:26:37 +0100

Ton Wibier wrote:

> Hello group!
>
> Since a few days I'm a proud user of OpenSuse Linux 10.2 and I'm lovin'
> it! After using open source software under Windows, just to get used to
> these programs, I finally made the switch! I've installed almost all
> software and didn't encounter any problems, accept for one!
>
> I work a lot with Oracle-XE and want to use it under Linux also, of
> course. On the command line I've installed the database with the 'RPM'
> command and also filled out all the parameters (e.g. port for homepage).
>
> After installation I got the message that this was successfully done, but
> when I clicked on the 'Go To Database Homepage' shortcut I received this
> message: "Unable to connect. Firefox can't establish a connection to the
> server at 127.0.0.1:8080".
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction for getting this to work?
> Apache is installed and all of my virtual servers are working, so this
> can't be the problem. Or...? I also temporary shut down Suse Firewall, but
> the result remained the same.
>
> I hope you can help me solve this problem, because I haven't got a
> foggiest clue what I am overseeing here. Thanks a million for your help.

Hello group!

I want to thank everyone who sent me their solutions by email or in this newsgroup. None of them helped me, but in the end I found out how to cope with this problem...err...challenge! ;o)

On a 64-bit machine (Intel Dual Core in my case) you do the following:

ton_at_linux:-> linux32 bash
ton_at_linux:-> sudo rpm -ivh oracle-xe-univ-10.2.0.1-1.0.i386.rpm Password:

After installation you will get the message that you must run 'etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure' as the root user to configure the database.

ton_at_linux:-> su
Password:
linux:/home/ton # /etc/init.d/oracle-xe configure

That's it!!

Just wanted to share this knowledge with you.

--
Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Met vriendelijke groeten,

Ton Wibier
Jeroton software/internet services