Re: Seeking Equivalent of InterBase Domain

From: Martijn Tonies <m.tonies_at_upscene.removethis.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:45:28 +0100

> >> Once again Oracle has this capability and has had it since at least
> >> version 8.0.6.
> >
> > No, it does not ... Domains are not equivalent to "types".
>
> I didn't say they were.

Could be my lack of understanding the English language correctly: "Oracle has this capability "

>I said they could be used to meet the OP's requirement.

Perhaps they could, but they're not the same, which is what I wanted to point out.

> > Types is a different beast, and useful in its own respect.
>
> And useful in the same respect for the OP.

Types can be very useful indeed. The Oracle TYPE is an nice implementation of the relational theory's "user defined type". SQL Server named it this way (< 2005) but wasn't quite it.

> > Domains basically create a very small sub-type of an existing
> > raw datatype and may include an optional check constraint.
> > This domain can then be used in column definitions.
> >
> > An Oracle "type" is a much more complex than that and only
> > introduced in Ora 8, while "domains" is a much older "thing"
> > in the RDBMS world (and has been in InterBase for ages).
>
> I did state that above if you look at the first sentence.
>
> > The closest thing I have come around that is similar to InterBase
> > "domains" is the SQL Server "user defined type" before SQL 2005
> > came along.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> And what can you do with them that you can not do with an Oracle
> user defined type with (or without) methods?

Can you assign a "check constraint" to a type?

--
Martijn Tonies
MS SQL Server