Re: High CPU usage

From: Valentin Minzatu <valentinminzatu_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Oct 2006 07:20:36 -0700

I re-read the posts and my understanding of the "problem" is that by upgrading from 9i to 10g (supposedly " better and faster") and also increasing the HW capacity - practically doubling it - they experience ~ 8 (considering a growth from 20% to 80% for each node) times higher CPU usage.

What is not stated is why the number of sessions has increased from 80 to 1000, because that could explain a lot more.

If the overall system response time is slower and the application requires now more connections to handle the same workload then it make sense to look into optimizing the database, *but* if the increase in connections is something due to increased demand/workload then we may be just wasting our time as the behavior may be perfectly normal.

Another thing that baffles me is that CURSOR_SHARING change made *no difference*. For better or for worse it should have made one (again in the case when those literal queries had significance), so I am wondering if the change was made across the whole cluster or on a single node.

I have also noted that there are slight differences between the configurations on each node. Not that it would solve the "problem", but I wonder why the nodes are configured differently.

... and we can keep going like this for days unless some relevant information is posted.

Cheers,
Valentin Received on Sat Oct 14 2006 - 09:20:36 CDT