Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 20 Jul 2006 12:53:43 -0700

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On 20 Jul 2006 08:43:37 -0700, "racman" <arubin_at_mfs.com> wrote:
>
> >I need to give a presentation on the benefits of AIX vs Solaris.
> >Can everyone share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I`m not looking
> >to dismiss either platform, I think they both work very well with
> >specific databases,
> >storage and apps. Thoughts please!
> >
> >Thanks
>

> Interesting question.
> This are just my 2 euro cents..
>
> AIX
> has a more complete O/S (asynchronous I/O is standard)

Oh you have to pay for asynch IO with sun? Not.

> better management tools

For example ... what exactly?

> Less parameters to tune

At least oracle doesn't have many parameters.

> More diagnostic tools.

More is better? Let's see some specific examples.

> The hardware breaks less often.

All hardware breaks eventually.

> I don't know anything about IBM support, but I do know Sun support in
> the Netherlands sucks. One of our customers is having issues with Sun
> on their support contract for years.

OK so you just posted some stuff about AIX but now you don't know anything about IBM support? Received on Thu Jul 20 2006 - 14:53:43 CDT