Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:59:44 +0200

On 20 Jul 2006 08:43:37 -0700, "racman" <arubin_at_mfs.com> wrote:

>I need to give a presentation on the benefits of AIX vs Solaris.
>Can everyone share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I`m not looking
>to dismiss either platform, I think they both work very well with
>specific databases,
>storage and apps. Thoughts please!
>
>Thanks

Interesting question.
This are just my 2 euro cents..

AIX
has a more complete O/S (asynchronous I/O is standard) better management tools
Less parameters to tune
More diagnostic tools.
The hardware breaks less often.

I don't know anything about IBM support, but I do know Sun support in the Netherlands sucks. One of our customers is having issues with Sun on their support contract for years.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA