Re: AIX vs Solaris

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:29:29 +0200

comments embedded

On 20 Jul 2006 12:53:43 -0700, "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2006 08:43:37 -0700, "racman" <arubin_at_mfs.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I need to give a presentation on the benefits of AIX vs Solaris.
>> >Can everyone share your thoughts. Keep in mind that I`m not looking
>> >to dismiss either platform, I think they both work very well with
>> >specific databases,
>> >storage and apps. Thoughts please!
>> >
>> >Thanks
>>

>> Interesting question.
>> This are just my 2 euro cents..
>>
>> AIX
>> has a more complete O/S (asynchronous I/O is standard)
>
>Oh you have to pay for asynch IO with sun? Not.

Are you sure? People in my firm always state you have to buy Veritas Advanced Edition or Veritas Database Edition. The vxfs that comes with Solaris doesn't support asychronous I/O, or everyone here is very mistaken. Might be, today someone stated you need OnlineJFS to enable asynchronous I/O in HP UX and to me it looks like this is in HPUX 11 and beyond

>> better management tools
>
>For example ... what exactly?

Smit: System Management InTerface. And there is smitty for non-X access. As far as I know the equivalent Solaris tool is limited

>> Less parameters to tune

No need to tune semaphore parameters and the like.

>At least oracle doesn't have many parameters.
>
>> More diagnostic tools.
>
>More is better? Let's see some specific examples.

errpt, diag

>> The hardware breaks less often.
>
>All hardware breaks eventually.

We had a Sun motherboard break within 3 months after delivery.

>> I don't know anything about IBM support, but I do know Sun support in
>> the Netherlands sucks. One of our customers is having issues with Sun
>> on their support contract for years.
>
>OK so you just posted some stuff about AIX but now you don't know
>anything about IBM support?

I never needed IBM support, as the system never broke down.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA