Re: Characters losts during Import (8.1.6) -> (9.2.0.6)

From: Cris Carampa <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:30:16 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> The OPs case was US7ASCII ---> WE8ISO8859P1

I don't have a WE8ISO8859P1 test system to play with, but I guess the results will be the same.

> Secondly, you demonstrate what we already knew.
> You are silent on the exp/imp scenario.
> Yet once again:
>
> exp/imp and sql*loader use the SAME mechanism!!!!

What I was trying to affirm is that:

If you succeed to bury 8-bit characters in a US7ASCII database, the only way to move them to a database with a different charset is to dump them on a text file and load them with SQL*Loader.

exp/imp will perform character conversion, so you will lose them.

Perhaps I'm not able to explain me, or you are not willing to understand, or both.

--
Cris Carampa (spamto:cris119_at_operamail.com)

  blind faith in your leaders  or
  in anything will get you killed