Dimension objects

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:27:59 GMT

What, exactly, are dimension objects? What is their function? One cannot select directly from them, it seems that they just are here just to describe star schema or snowflake schema. My question is: what Oracle component reads those description? Why is it useful to create dimensions? When will it make a difference? I read the documentation and learned the syntax, but I am not quite sure what to do with them. TIA

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com