Re: ORA-12535: TNS:operation timed out errors for over a year now...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:24:19 GMT

Scott wrote:

>> 1) Do you have sqlnet.log file in the directory from which the application
>>    was started?

> Yes

What does it say? Is there anything sensible in the file? You can put something like this in your sqlnet.ora:

TRACE_DIRECTORY_CLIENT = d:\tmp
TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = ADMIN That should put all the necessary information in d:\tmp or any other directory of your choice. Server trace can, if needed, be turned on from the listener control utility (lsnrctl).

>> 2) Was client trace enabled on the client? Oracle*Net has extensive
>>    tracing facilities which should be enabled in cases like yours.

> Yes, but not being a DBA, I'm still searching on the servers where the
> trace logs are located!!!

If the server is Unix, logs are located on $ORACLE_HOME/network/log, while trace files are located on $ORACLE_HOME/network/trace

>> 3) With all due respect to the network guys, where is the DBA? The DBA
>>    would know how to enable trace on the client and server sides and
>>    collect the necessary information.

> The DBA is relatively new at the game. He is the only one available in
> our large enviro. These DBA's are a dying breed it seems. The poor
> guy is totally overworked.

Yes, not many people appreciate us these days. We should probably work for peanuts, that should make us more popular.

--
Mladen Gogala
http://www.mgogala.com