Re: Dimension objects

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:58:53 +0200

Mladen Gogala schrieb:
> What, exactly, are dimension objects? What is their function? One cannot
> select directly from them, it seems that they just are here just to
> describe star schema or snowflake schema. My question is: what Oracle
> component reads those description? Why is it useful to create
> dimensions? When will it make a difference? I read the documentation and
> learned the syntax, but I am not quite sure what to do with them.
> TIA

What immediately comes in mind - you can have a dimension based on attributes ( not sure this is correct wording ) with different datatypes. In this case oracle can use them instead of referential constraints by query rewrite.
There are surely many other use cases, most from the analytical world.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Thu Jun 22 2006 - 12:58:53 CDT