Re: Please inform about oracle dba daily work

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 14:38:38 -0700

peter wrote:
> Hello DBAs,
>
> I just want to know, what is the daily work of any DBA in a company.
> Whereas I know Monitor Tablespaces, Indexes, Alert File, Backup (
> Through Script ) and archive files ( destination full or not ), make
> users, grant privs to them, check the problem of clients. Is there
> anything else what a DBA does daily. Whereas I know performance tuning
> is not daily work because in most of companies, they have scripts for
> that. Please tell me is there anything else what a part of DBA daily
> schedule.
>
> Thank You in advance

He says "Well, it depends..." a lot.

Don't know about the "scripts for performance tuning," though. It's generally not daily work because hopefully things are tuned well for it to be exception-based - someone complains about the performance of a specific business process changing. Unless it is a development environment, where the DBA is a super-programmer who helps regular developers design and tune queries.

A lot of DBAs are focused on particular applications, and some are more into design work. It depends... on the site, on what is needed, on the person doing the work etc.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
 Murphy goes to Montana: