Re: Packages - for real or just gimmick?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 16:22:43 -0700

ds_lewis_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm a newbie to Oracle. I walked onto a contract job where they are
> just switching to Oracle and I'd like to help them get started off in
> the right direction.
>
> Do packages really provide something valuable from a design
> perspective? I've seen some example code but the descriptions have
> been somewhat vague as any actual benefits from using packages.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Targus

>From more than a decade of experience as a DBA supporting application
developers the answer is yes, the proper use of Oracle packages greatly aids application development.

Read the PL/SQL manual. Tom Kyte has two pretty good books on how to make efficient use of Oracle features.

As a developer new to Oracle read the Applications Developer Guide - Fundaments

If a DBA then read the Concepts manual followed by the DBA Administrators Guide, Backup and Recovery Concepts, PL/SQL manual, the Utilities manual, and the first few chapters of the SQL manual. Then you are ready to start work.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 18:22:43 CDT