Re: Can't find spfile

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 16:31:19 -0700

pfa wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > pfa wrote:
> > > I'm trying to investigate problems on an oracle 9i server however I
> > > cannot find an init.ora, pfile or spfile. What's strange is that show
> > > parameter spfile says ?/dbs/spfile@.ora and yet there is no directory
> > > dbs in $ORACLE_HOME (linux btw).
> >
> > Thoughts that come immediately to mind:
> >
> > Wrong $ORACLE_HOME
> Don't believe so...sqlplus is working and which sqlplus shows it under
> the bin under $ORACLE_HOME
>
> > dbs directory deleted (unix keeps deleted files open until they are
> > closed, you just can't see their directory entries - renaming can be
> > confusing, too)
> Ok, could be, it's not my machine
>
> > find / -name "*ora"
> Yeah, did that, only found network/admin files
>
> > started with a pfile that didn't end in ora
> > broken link to dbs or nfs issue or cluster issue
> ok, maybe...I'll have to investigate that.
>
> > create pfile from spfile
> Is that a suggestion or that I should be looking for a pfile? show
> parameter pfile results in the same spfile display. Couldn't find any
> file containing *pfile*.
>

> > What are the problems?
> All I wanted to do was modify the init.ora/spfile to set a trace file
> (for ORACLE_TRACE_ENABLE) to track down a ORA-03113 error in an OCI
> app. However, I've just realised unless I can guess the oracle password
> I'm screwed :-(

1- The create pfie command will create an init.ora file from the spfile. You can then modify the init.ora file and use if to re-create the spfile.

2- Even if you have lost the SYS password you can connect to Oracle using the default OS security feature. You have to be a member of the same UNIX group as the Oracle owner, usually Oracle. Once connected you are SYS and can reset the password.

3- Instead of tracing the entire database why not just set a 3113 event and trace those processes that puke on the error?

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 18:31:19 CDT