Re: dual server configuration question

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 09:39:23 -0800

z wrote:
> "hpuxrac" <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> > Ummm servers don't connect to clients exactly.
>
> I meant, can a system configured as an oracle server
> be used as a client. FYI, an oracle SE advised me
> against trying it already. I just wanted a second opinion
> because I did not perceive any technical reason
> why it should not be supportable in theory if not
> in practice.

Oracle support is not what it used to be. Their principal motivation appears to be to try to close tickets as quickly as they can.

While you need to get the environment variables defined corectly ( especially important on unix/linux systems ) and/or when more than 1 set of oracle software executables ( different releases for example ) have been installed, it's a no brainer to use "for client functiionality" when needed those executables to connect to another database.

Typical disclaimers, anytime you are going across the network ... performance varies and you want to consider application design issues.

> > 10g client can connect to a 9i server .. Yes.
>
> Thanks very much (another q the oracle SEs
> could not answer from the hip). This should
> speed up my config testing.

You are welcome.

Lots of GOMS ( grumpy old men syndrome ) active at times on this newsgroup.

Caveat emptor. Received on Wed Jan 25 2006 - 11:39:23 CST