Re: The charter for this newsgroup

From: Ed Prochak <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com>
Date: 29 Dec 2005 06:27:20 -0800

bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> > On 29 Dec 2005 03:57:17 -0800, bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I would prefer to not to see messages like this in c.d.o.s and c.d.o.m
> > They are promoting laziness and bad manners.
> >

> I or my postings are not promoting anything. I am asking for debate on
> whether the charter should specifically state that individuals should
> not top post.
>
> Their are much bigger sins.
>
> Barry

In comp.lang.c, CBFalconer provides the simplest argument I've seen on the issue of top posting. Here it is:

  1. Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
  2. Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
  3. Top-posting.
  4. What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?

If you prefer reading messages like that, You have some stange reading skills. Not everyone uses an archiving newsreader like google. In such cases they may not be able to go back and read the articles in order. So they have to get the context from the current article. Top posting makes that hard to do.

And given that you are seeking FREE help, I would expect some measure of deference to those whose help you seek.

Finally, even if it is not in the charter, it is the culture of many newsgroups to bottom post. And the culture of the group is what provides the final ruling on such matters. The group is the final arbiter on what's topical and what's not, what's accepted, tolerated, or scorned behavior. Removing this from the charter would not necessarily make top posting accepted behavior.

Have a nice day.

   Ed Received on Thu Dec 29 2005 - 08:27:20 CST