Re: The charter for this newsgroup

From: Randy Harris <randy_at_SpamFree.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 02:52:25 GMT

"Ed Prochak" <ed.prochak_at_magicinterface.com> wrote in message news:1135866440.679017.86390_at_f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

> Finally, even if it is not in the charter, it is the culture of many
> newsgroups to bottom post. And the culture of the group is what
> provides the final ruling on such matters. The group is the final
> arbiter on what's topical and what's not, what's accepted, tolerated,
> or scorned behavior. Removing this from the charter would not
> necessarily make top posting accepted behavior.
>
> Have a nice day.
>
> Ed

IMO - Ed's comments are spot on. It's the ng culture, more than the charter, that dictates appropriate posting style. Altering the charter wouldn't change that.

Most people spend some time "browsing" a ng before posting to learn what constitutes an acceptable post, as this can vary from one ng to the next. There is little defense for refusing to stop top-posting once told. Occasionally posters don't amend posting styles, not out of stubbornness but, rather a lack of comprehension of the concept. I'm not sure there is an easy way to tell the difference, but if someone doesn't understand the meaning of "top-posting" because of inexperience or language difficulty, it should be explained.

--
Randy Harris
tech at promail dot com