Re: Undo Tablespace Question

From: Doug <dougburns_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2005 12:58:52 -0800

amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can you, or is it feasible, to rebuild your undo tablespace? I've
> been told that a previous DBA used to rebuild the undo tablespace when
> it grew and became too large.
>
> This really does not make sense to me, as I thought you gave the Undo
> tablespace a size.....

There's been lots of good advice here from others that covers the usual situation but I hit a situation just the other day at work where we had a one-off transaction that had to run and had unusually large undo requirements. We knew it did so we allowed the undo tablespace to grow. When the one-off job was finished we wanted to reduce the size of the undo tablespace, so I just created a new one and switched to it. I expect that's what a previous DBA did, to answer your original question.

There are full instructions here (note these are for 9.2.0.x, I'm not sure what version you're using)

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/undo.htm#9117

Cheers,

--
Doug Burns - Oracle DBA