Re: mod_plsql x apache x websphere >> DBMS_EPG

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:21:37 -0500

"HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message news:pan.2005.11.22.20.01.03.221152_at_telus.net...
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:54:56 -0500, Mark C. Stock wrote:
>

>> "HansF" <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message
>>> Avoid the challenge - move up to 10gR2 and use DBMS_XDB and DBMS_EPG
>>> which totally eliminates Apache and mod_plsql whhile providing the same
>>> capability.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Hans Forbrich
>>> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
>>> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
>>> *** Top posting replies guarantees I won't respond. ***
>>>

>> yeah, but....
>>
>> runs on same machine as RDBMS instance, right? that would seem to be a
>> limitation in some apps.
>>
>> ++ mcs
>
> 1) It's closer - it runs IN the RDBMS instance.
>
> 2) Allows you to have a WebSphere in front of the database-specific
> interaction, which seems to alleviate other limitations.
>
> --
> Hans Forbrich
> Canada-wide Oracle training and consulting
> mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com
> *** Top posting replies guarantees I won't respond. ***

I'm actually quite excited about the possibilities DBMS_EPG opens up, including with the new XE edition of the database.

It simplifies the installation, which is very good, especially considering how nasty things got with Portal, et al., but it does call for a different approach with load balancing if that is ever an issue from the webserver standpoint (as opposed to the database standpoint) -- which may very well be less of an issue because of hte integration.

What about serving files, or even just CSS, image, and script includes? Is that supported by the embedded gateway or is another HTTP server required for that?

++ mcs Received on Tue Nov 22 2005 - 15:21:37 CST