Re: Win2003, Oracle 9i and Boot.ini /3GB

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:51:29 GMT

I have often found the need to go to larger than 2GB SGA is a knee-jerk reaction to a poorly understood problem. It's frequently an attempt to increase the database buffer cache, under the mistaken impression that putting more of the DB into memory will always make things faster.

In fact, increasing the database buffer cache beyond a certain application dependant size can slow down the application.

So, my first reaction to your question is - don't do it unless you have a good reason.

If your reason is performance tuning, make sure you have eliminated such basics as 'bind variables' and 'turning on cost-based optimization if appropriate' first.

I'd even look at whether it's feasible to consolidate the two instances on the machine before doing the switch.

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com