Win2003, Oracle 9i and Boot.ini /3GB

From: IF <ifriedman_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2005 09:20:45 -0800

Hello,

We are running a couple of 9i development database on a Win 2003 Standard Edition server. I monitored the server last week, and noticed that the Oracle databases are limited to 2GB of memory, although the server has 4GB RAM.

I noticed Metalink #142019 and others, and I am planning on using the /3GB option with boot.ini so that Oracle can use more memory.

I would appreciate it if somebody can answer the following questions:

(i) It seems, from the metalink notes, that the only step that needs to
be taken is to add the '/3GB' option to boot.ini. (Other than increasing Oracle buffer sizes, etc..once it can access more memory)? Is this correct, or do other steps need to be taken with Oracle?

(ii) Is the '/3GB' option step problematic in Oracle/Win 2003? Metalink
#291988 mentions that it should not be used for Standard Edition production servers (Ours is development).

Would anybody not hesitate about recommending this option for a 9i/Win 2003 server which has 2 fairly resource intensive Oracle databases, and in which Windows runs no applications other than Oracle (I am not worried about confining Windows to 1GB).

Thanks,
IF Received on Mon Nov 07 2005 - 11:20:45 CST