Re: Queries across databases

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:41:02 GMT

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:24:26 -0800, Andy Kent wrote:

> Is it possible a query a database other than the one to which one is
> currently connected? Specifically, is it possible to do an INSERT INTO
> ... SELECT across databases?

Yes.

The keyword is 'DBLINK' in which you define the connection to the remote database and the appropriate login method suitable to your task.

The 'other' database doesn't even need to be an Oracle as long as you have an ODBC driver and configure the Heterogeneous Services properly.

It's all well documented. Check out http://docs.oracle.com or http://tahiti.oracle.com

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com