Re: How to determine database market share?

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:40:11 -0700

gazzag wrote:

> As a slight aside, I also seem to recall you berating PostgreSQL,
> amongst other things, for it's lack of "support". Support, it would
> seem, stems from "market-share".

You mean because Sybase has a small marketshare they don't provide support? Or do you mean their support is inferior to that of Informix? Be very clear.

The problem with PostgreSQL is that if you are running a production 7x24 mission critical database. And it falls on its face. You will not have support equivalent to that of ANY of the major commerical vendors. Not the support of Oracle, or IBM, or Microsoft, or Sybase.

And if you'd care to read Sarbanes-Oxley, and talk to the fine folks at Accenture, KPMG, etc. you'd also find out they will not certify a financial statement based on it.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org