High Volume Inserts

From: <srinivas.somayajula_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2005 07:30:52 -0700

All,

We are building an application using Websphere MQ coupled with Websphere Application Server on 2 solaris 5.9 servers (Sunfire 6800 & 4500)

The intent of the application is to pull messages from the queue, perform some validation, and insert to the database. During our performance testing this is what I encountered:

  1. With 1 instance of the application on the 6800 and 1 instance of the application on the 4500, we were able to pull ~150 messages per minute and insert to the Oracle 9i db at a rate of 16,000 inserts/sec.
  2. With 2 instances of the application on the 6800 and 2 instances of the application on the 4500, we were able to pull ~200 messages per minute and still only insert to the Oracle 9i db at a rate of 16,000 inserts/sec.
  3. With 2 instances of the application on the 6800 and 1 instances of the application on the 4500, we were able to pull ~260 messages per minute and still only insert to the Oracle 9i db at a rate of 16,000 inserts/sec.

First question I have is, would this experiment present the hypothesis that the database is the bottleneck here? Also, if so, what are some immediate optimizations that can be made to improve this (I am not a DBA of any sort)? Thanks in advance. Received on Mon Sep 26 2005 - 09:30:52 CDT