Re: double line spacing in smtp

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 10:38:33 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
>

>> MikeS wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to email print formatted files using utl_smtp. Message is
>>> received ok but attachment has a double line spacing.
>>>
>>> What's the best way to handle this type of file?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike.
>>>

>> IMHO it's best not to use an RDBMS as a mail client. Yes, I know it can
>> be done and that Oracle includes the SMTP packages, but why bother with
>> them when a standard mail client is so much simpler to use?

> I can answer that "why bother" question.
>
> 1. Security
> 2. Simplicity
> 3. Platform independence
>
> I'm not sure what is simpler than sending emails from Oracle. If it
> takes more than 5 minutes to set it up you didn't copy the many
> functional demos on the web including the one in Morgan's Library.

1, What's insecure about the unix mail client that isn't with Oracle's SMTP?

2. What could be simpler than "mailx -s Subject recipient < body.txt" ?

3. mail/sendmail/mailx are available on every platform I'm aware of that Oracle runs on.

Setting up mailx on unix takes less than 5 minutes. In fact it takes no time as it's already built in. On windows you might need to take five minutes to download a configure the client.

To each his own. I'm not saying don't use Oracle's SMTP, but it's sort of like using a carving knife as a screwdriver. Sure it'll work, but a carving knife isn't meant to turn scews, a screwdriver is.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"