Re: SQL query time out in ORACLE db

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 23 Sep 2005 09:00:21 -0700

gilroy.ponn..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> I tried your suggestion and query is running more-than five minutes
> (not returned any results or error).
>
> I am running this query on an Accounting System (ACCPAC) database and
> they have a column name call 'VALUE' which I need to extract the data
> from.
> Do you think, this may cause issues in ORACLE?
>
> Thank you.
> Gilroy.

Unquestionably. VALUE is a reserved word, listed in V$RESERVED_WORDS and is therefore NOT a reasonable choice for a column name. Many times using such words as column names can create errors in your SQL statements due to the interpretation Oracle is giving the word.

Such is a poorly designed system, in my opinion.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri Sep 23 2005 - 11:00:21 CDT