Re: easiest way to copy one DB to another?

From: NetComrade <netcomradeNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:34:07 GMT

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:48:48 GMT, "IANAL_VISTA" <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>"barneytoe" <barneytoe_at_gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I have two ora 9.2 DBs, and simply want to copy one to another. The 2nd
>> DB doesn't necessarily have all the same views and such, but I'd like
>> to just force it to be an exact copy, if possible.
>>
>> I do have SYS login capabiltieis on target DB.
>>
>> Is there an easy way to do this?
>>
>> I read about sqlplus copy capabilities, but not sure that'll create
>> views and users and such.
>>
>> thanks.
>>
>> chris
>>

>SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE
>
>and the use OS command (COPY, cp, etc.) to copy all the files to their new
>directory. Lastly start both DBs.
>
>FWIW - I did a variation of this just yesterday & did not even shutdown
>the source DB & had a working clone in under 60 minutes.

Provided the directory structure is the same, this will work fine. Otherwise you'll need to rename files on the new machine (from sqlprompt), refer to backup and recovery guide, as you can massively rename all files by creating a new control file. .......
We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 and 9.2.0.6/7 on Solaris 2.7 and RH4 remove NSPAM to email Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 09:34:07 CDT