Re: Oracle 10g on fedora core4 , with 228 mb ram..can it work?

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 15:44:47 +0200

nirav schrieb:
> Hello Experts,
>
> MY home pc has 228 mb of ram and I am wondering if I could have oracle
> 10g/9i on it , on Fedora Core 4.
>
> I know that oracle manual says that we need 512 mb of ram for
> installing oracle 10g on linux. Still I want to ask, if someone could
> have oracle 10g/9i installed and running fine with 228 mb of ram?
> This is for my personal pc at home so I am shying away from buying more
> ram.
>
> (I know that oracle is certified only on Red Hat Linux not on fedora,
> but there are workarounds available and present on the web , so in my
> other pc, which has 1gb of ram and fedora core 4 os, I could get oracle
> 10g running. -this is all for home pc and not for industry application.
> )
>
> With thanks,
> N.

For "playing" with Oracle i use some virtual machines based on coLinux with FC1. I have assigned 256Mb ram and 1Gb swap for setup ( 10g,9i,8i,OAS 10R1 Infrastructure). I had no issues during the installation. All this runs on a usual WinXP Host PC with 1Gb ram. I can run parallel up to 3 virtual machines ( after installation i downsized memory of each virtual machine to 128Mb and sga to 64 - 96 Mb ). I didn't try to go further down with ram during installation. I should admit also, with such settings i got basic functionality to work, but ORA-4030,ORA-4031 are not seldom, it depends also , what you are doing with Oracle.
I'll not give you the wrong impression however - it is possible , but makes a little sense. I personally made yesterday upgrade to 2Gb ram, so i'll assign much more memory to my virtual machines. Novadays ram is not so expensive, i think it is much more effective to upgrade to at least 1Gb than to spent time with experiments which have no value ( i mean the experience gained is useless because you will never go into production with oracle server having less than 1Gb memory, serious development server requires the same).

Best regards

Maxim Received on Wed Sep 21 2005 - 08:44:47 CDT