Re: Oracle 10g and JVM

From: Matthias Hoys <idmwarpzone_NOSPAM__at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:21:07 +0200

"Mark Bole" <makbo_at_pacbell.net> wrote in message news:vVoVe.318$7x4.267_at_newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>>
>>>Is JVM a required part of Oracle 10g ? What software/features won't work
>>>anymore if I don't install it ? Intermedia ?
>>>
>> No - JVM is not required for 10g, but many components
>> have become dependent (unfortunately).
>> Indeed, InterMedia is one of them.
>>
>> The DBCA is consistent in disabling JVM dependent components;
>> just disable JVM (under 'Standard Components') and see what
>> options are unavailable...
>
> OK, I'll bite -- why would you _not_ want to install by default the JVM in
> Oracle 10g (assuming it is already not present on your machine in one form
> or another)?
>
> Platform, version information, all the usual would help.
>
> Thank goodness the installer and various creation assistants don't ask
> about installing Perl! Otherwise, how would the 10g database control get
> any OS-related information :-) (under Linux, at least). Oh, that reminds
> me -- the 10g database control relies on JVM.
>
> -Mark Bole

Oracle 10.1.0.4.0 on AIX 5.2.

Just installed a db WITHOUT JVM, Intermedia and XML db - we just need a data warehouse db that stores data in tables - that's all ;-) Oh, btw : dbconsole is running fine and no errors whatsoever in alert log or trace files, no invalid packages ... where did you read that dbconsole requires JVM ?

Matthias Hoys Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 14:21:07 CDT