Re: Oracle 10g and JVM

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:18:35 GMT

Frank van Bortel wrote:
> Matthias Hoys wrote:
>

>>Is JVM a required part of Oracle 10g ? What software/features won't work
>>anymore if I don't install it ? Intermedia ?
>>

> No - JVM is not required for 10g, but many components
> have become dependent (unfortunately).
> Indeed, InterMedia is one of them.
>
> The DBCA is consistent in disabling JVM dependent components;
> just disable JVM (under 'Standard Components') and see what
> options are unavailable...

OK, I'll bite -- why would you _not_ want to install by default the JVM in Oracle 10g (assuming it is already not present on your machine in one form or another)?

Platform, version information, all the usual would help.

Thank goodness the installer and various creation assistants don't ask about installing Perl! Otherwise, how would the 10g database control get any OS-related information :-) (under Linux, at least). Oh, that reminds me -- the 10g database control relies on JVM.

-Mark Bole Received on Mon Sep 12 2005 - 19:18:35 CDT