Career Advise - Database Management

From: JP <jwalit82_at_gmail.com>
Date: 13 Sep 2005 12:04:34 -0700

Hi all,

My name is Jay. I would like to get your advise regarding a career move....I am a recent college graduate with an EE degree (strong background in computer science) and am working in IT industry (software QA) in Southern California. From what I have seen so far, it is really hard to move up in this industry unless you have "specialized" skills. I am thinking of getting certified as a Database Admin(either the general certificate or the Oracle DBA certified).

Now here are my questions:
1. I have seen a lot of job openings for DBAs but most of them require extensive experience. So is there a chance of finding jobs (without experience) after getting certified?
2. The program in which I am planning to enroll goes for about 9 months, costing almost $6000. Is that worth the investment? Also, should I go for Oracle DBA or the generalized program (combined classes for Oracle and MS SQL)?
3. Anything specific I need to know before getting into Database Management?

All your opinions and help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your response :)
Jay Received on Tue Sep 13 2005 - 14:04:34 CDT