Re: standby database on standard edition (once again) 10g

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:00:58 +0200

Dariusz Adamiak wrote:

> Hi, Thank You for help and patience,
>
> I intented to do standby on standard version (no data guard) but ok, first
> I try to follow procedure from Oracle Data Guard Concepts and
> Administration, chapter 3 Creating a Physical Standby Database,
> unfortunetly still dont know how should I create stanby from backup
> there is:
> 3.2 Creating Physical Standby Database
> 3.2.1 backup database
> 3.2.2 creating contrlo file
> 3.2.3 initialization parameter (pfile)
> !!3.2.4 copy files from primary system to the standby system!! /just system
> copy backup, standby, initialization parameters/
> 3.2.5 set up envirnoment
> step1 windows based service
> step 2 create password file
> step 3 create listener
> step 4 enable broken connection detection
> step 5 create ora net service names (for log transport i think)
> step 6 create server parameter /standby/
>
> and :::
> 3.2.6 start physical standby database
> step 2 start physical standby database ( SQL> startup open read only)
> /etc...
>
> thats all? what for first i did backup?
> or when i load backup or ....

You made the backup, you put the files in place on the standby and you had your controlfile created using 'alter database create standby controlfile...' so yes, that's basically all there is to do.

I think your confusion comes from not really understanding what standby does, which is simply put (although that changed quite a bit from 8i to 10g) to apply all redo information to the standby destination. So you create a backup, and tell oracle to constantly apply redo as soon as it finds it.

It's confusing as long as one doesn't understand what the files involved actually do, so I'd suggest a roundtrip to the concepts guide at tahiti.oracle.com.

> first i'll try with enterprise and Oracle Data Guard Concepts and
> Administration step by step

It certainly will make matters more easy. But so does understanding what you do ;-)

> regards
>
> Dariusz

Cheers,
Holger Received on Wed Aug 31 2005 - 03:00:58 CDT