Re: Primary/non primary sessions

From: amogh <amogh.r_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:23:46 +0530

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>amogh wrote:
>>

>>>Self evident truths are self inflicted. A session in Oracle can have a
>>>non-migratable parent session. This is well documented and would not
>>>need explanation.
>>>
>>>Amogh
>>
>>Unless your idea of how to get help from people is to spit on them this
>>post is about as bad as they get.
>>
>>Well documented? One reference on OTN findable with the Tahiti search
>>engine is NOT "well documented."
>>
>>I await your apology for your attitude before offering any help. I
>>suspect others are too.
>>
>>For those looking for the link:
>>http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/appdev.102/b14250/oci08sca.htm#sthref1282
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>http://www.psoug.org
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace x with u to respond)

> I *thought* this was also possible through OCI, although I've never
> coded anything needing parent and child sessions; that I see no need
> for it doesn't mean it isn't a viable tool.
>
> To Amogh: Daniel is correct, ONE reference in 55000+ pages of
> documentation does NOT constitute 'well documented'. Your chutzpah is
> far greater than your knowledge; increase the latter, decrease the
> former and realise you've been properly answered. Then apologise to
> the group for your behaviour.
>

> David Fitzjarrell

My question was in a way related to OCI. I did not mention it in the first post, my mistake.

As far as primary sessions are concerned. I can give you an example : An application residing on the mid tier can have multiple user sessions within *one* primary database session. These multiple user sessions are precreated, and allow users to authenticate in a normal manner(just using the database password) without having to create another connection to the database.The mid tier knows the user, and the database knows the mid tier, so an user need not give out his identity.

The mid tier needs to authenticate itself with the database for all this to happen in the first place. Once authenticated, users access the database within the boundaries of this authenticated zone. For this the mid tier creates a *primary session* and authenticates itself with the database. Any number of user sessions can be precreated later on, to be used by users.

The mid tier then creates a session for a user, setting an attribute on this session to skip the requirement of a password since the application server is trusted by the database. Trusted because the mid tier is already authenticated through a primary session.

Another way to explain primary sessions is through connection pooling provided in OCI. A physical connection is created at first through a single *primary session*. Any number of sessions created in the pool are user sessions. In other words sessions are multiplexed on a single connection. The first session used to create this connection is the *primary session*

If my response before hurt sentiments, I apologise for it.

Amogh Received on Tue Aug 30 2005 - 23:53:46 CDT