Re: SQL Response Time

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 22 Jun 2005 06:43:40 -0700

Brian, your post demonstrates that you made a classic mistake, namely, that you changed several system parameters at one time and do not really know which are responsible for the performance improvement on your system. It is actually possible that one set of changes reduced performance from what had been obtained by the other changes.

In fact it has been demonstrated that they can be negative performance impact from changing optimizer_index_caching and optimizer_index_cost_adj from their defaults.

Every application has its own DML access patterns and this pattern can change over time so if you have the opportunity you really should back your changes off and reapply them in stages so you know exactly how much difference each change made. Perhaps buffer pool first, cursors second, and the optimizer changes last.

If this post appears twice my apologies but I hit post google transferred me to the sign-on screen so I had to start over.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Wed Jun 22 2005 - 08:43:40 CDT