Re: Unable to Shutdown the Database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 20 May 2005 05:44:14 -0700

rbs wrote:
> We have a Oracle Database version 9.2. When we tried to shutdown
> immediate the database we got the message
>

> SQL> ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation
> SQL> ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down
> first
>

> This is the message which we got in the alert file of the database.
>

> SHUTDOWN: waiting for active calls to complete.
> Sun May 15 10:02:18 2005
> SHUTDOWN: Active sessions prevent database close operation
> Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
> Sun May 15 10:02:19 2005
>
> Can anybody tell why we are not able to shut down the database
>
> Thank you,
> RBS
Not with the information thus far presented. Which patch level of 9.2?  Which operating system? These items are key in determining why a shutdown immediate may behave in this manner. To elaborate, you may be running 9.2.0.1 and this is a bug fixed in a patch release you have yet to apply. This may be a bug specific to a particular operating system and 9.2.0.x (hpux, AIX come to mind as needing one-off patches to correct O/S specific bugs). Provide the requested information and a better answer may be forthcoming.

You could perform a shutdown abort, then startup restrict, followed by a shutdown immediate and a startup, to get your instance down and back up, however this does not solve your underlying problem. Your best bet for such information is Metalink. Presuming you have a service contract put it to good use. If not, then provide, as I stated before, the full release of Oracle and the O/S upon which it is running. Someone else may have encountered such a problem with a similar installation and can provide a better answer.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Fri May 20 2005 - 07:44:14 CDT