Unable to Shutdown the Database

From: rbs <rbs100_at_gmail.com>
Date: 20 May 2005 00:05:00 -0700

We have a Oracle Database version 9.2. When we tried to shutdown immediate the database we got the message

SQL> ORA-01013: user requested cancel of current operation SQL> ORA-01081: cannot start already-running ORACLE - shut it down first

This is the message which we got in the alert file of the database.

SHUTDOWN: waiting for active calls to complete. Sun May 15 10:02:18 2005
SHUTDOWN: Active sessions prevent database close operation Starting ORACLE instance (normal)
Sun May 15 10:02:19 2005

Can anybody tell why we are not able to shut down the database

Thank you,
RBS Received on Fri May 20 2005 - 02:05:00 CDT