Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 17 May 2005 18:44:27 -0700

dbguy..._at_yahoo.com wrote:

> > - HPUX11+9ir2, with raw disk devices. Pick your hardware level.
> You mean 'Itanium 2' here, right?

Very much so. The rest, not familiar with. Watch out for patch levels on the OS: check carefully which ones you need. There are a LOT of dependencies if you running a SAN, Oracle, Vxfs and HPUX11.

> you know of anybody in real world running 'heavily loaded' OLTP on
> Oracle under AIX?

Yes. Mixed DSS and OLTP. Superannuation ( retirement stuff) system. And it runs darn stable.

> No I don't. Not on Dell at any rate; HP DL585 could be a choice for
> some secondary databases though.

Well, the Linux solution has one thing going for it: it is cheap. And quite fine for secondary stuff, I'd say. Mind you: we're running it 24x7x365, collecting and churning bulk logs from many search engines and quite frankly, it hasn't missed a beat. Hardware glitches excepted. But I don't know what it'd be like for a pure OLTP.
> In general, IBM solution is going to be 2-3 times more expensive than
> equivalent HP one, but could be worth it.

Nothing wrong with AIX, I reckon. And the hardware to run it. Although Unix purists like to dump on the combo. Once again, check out the SP levels: it's very important with IBM software as you are I'm sure aware.

> BTW, why did you mention 9ir2 rather than 10g for HPUX and AIX?

Because it's the one I'm familiar with. 10g is still very much embryonic in Australia for critical online sites. Regardless of what Oracle might say. Hey, you asked for "real experience", didn't you? ;)

Having said that, there is a lot of yummy stuff in 10g PL/SQL I'd give my right arm to get in 9i... Heck, maybe next year we'll upgrade! Received on Tue May 17 2005 - 20:44:27 CDT