Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: <dbguy456_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 May 2005 16:45:35 -0700

Thanks!

> - HPUX11+9ir2, with raw disk devices. Pick your hardware level.
You mean 'Itanium 2' here, right? What do you think of rx4640-8 w/MSA1500+MSA30 for storage?

> - AIX5L+9ir2, with JFS2. Pick your hardware level. What do you think of p5-570 w/FastT900+EXP700 for storage? Also - do you know of anybody in real world running 'heavily loaded' OLTP on Oracle under AIX?

> - If you got the guts: RHAS with ext2, RAC 10g, OCFS. Dell is a
  good one. (those 4xXeons in one of our db servers kick major ass!). No I don't. Not on Dell at any rate; HP DL585 could be a choice for some secondary databases though.

In general, IBM solution is going to be 2-3 times more expensive than equivalent HP one, but could be worth it.

Obviously, exact configurations heavily depend on load etc., but as a general idea it should look either like 'Ok, may do', or like 'No way'.

BTW, why did you mention 9ir2 rather than 10g for HPUX and AIX? Received on Tue May 17 2005 - 18:45:35 CDT