Re: Oracle vs DB2 on heavy OLTP loads

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 19:52:15 -0700

There are a few common misconceptions in this thread.

  1. 99% of Oracle customers are also running IBM, MS SQLServer and MySQL. They aren't. The numbers are much smaller. If you would like to contact me offline I can provide some more realistic numbers. I would be fully prepared to accept that the reverse is true however :-)
  2. DB2 is a natural choice for IBM hardware/storage. It's not. If you would like to contact me offline I can provide some reasons why.
  3. Oracle is a natural choice for Sun harwdare/storage. It is, but it's not the only natural choice. If you would like to contact me offline I can provide some other choices.
  4. There are no mission critical applications running on Oracle Database 10g. There are. Even in Australia. If you would like to contact me offline I can provide some examples.
  5. I throw rocks and covet Noons' doolies (whatever those are). I don't. I do throw a good party, and I do have some very staunch friends in Bondi that owe me a favor or three. Noons can decide for himself if this is an invitation or a threat. No need to contact me offline or online for this one.
  6. Last but not least I do work for Oracle (although the Oracle people will tell you that's probably the biggest misconception of all). Working out how to contact me offline is not too hard to do.