Re: Startup Error

From: <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 May 2005 18:45:55 -0700

Deke,

the line:
 ORA-01194: file 1 needs more recovery to be consistent

indicates that media recovery is required. Most likely, what was the current (online) redo log will need to be applied.

Please take heed of Daniel's post regarding opening an iTAR if that is something that you can possibly do. I'll assume that you don't have metalink access.

You have now modified the physical database, there is no going back to the prior state without having a backup set to restore. You still have options, just fewer options than you had prior to executing that statement above.

Open the alert log and attempt to determine what the current online redo log was prior to the crash. If its the current online redo log that was corrupt and oracle needs that file to perform recovery, you're in serious trouble. If the online redo log that oracle requires (or archived redo log, but that is far less likely) is available and in good shape - the following should help. You are going to attempt complete recovery with the database mounted, not opened (if the database was open, you would no longer have this problem, right?)

The exact online redo log you have determined from the alert log. The example below is appropriate if log#2 was current at the time.

C:\> set ORACLE_SID=LAP2
C:\> sqlplus /nolog
SQL> connect / as sysdba
SQL> set autorecovery off
SQL> recover database

The name of the file that you need to apply is now entered manually: C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.1.0\ORADATA\LAP2\REDO02.LOG hit enter.

Ideally, you will see the glorious messages:

Log applied.
Media recovery complete

then you will type:

SQL> ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; which will hopefully return the message: Statement processed.

This is just theory.
You may have been far better off to clear the online redo log. You may in fact need to have additional logs created.

If the database was of no value or you had good backups, a new db create or a restore would have been a better course of action.

hth.

-bdbafh Received on Tue May 17 2005 - 20:45:55 CDT